Finding social image size recommendations from each platform can take hours of digging and Google searching. But the search is over! Here you can find the recommended sizes for the top 4 platforms and many different post types.
All of the dimensions are recommended sizes. Often you can use larger sizes, but make sure the aspect ratios remain the same to ensure images display correctly.
Facebook Image Sizes
Featuring high-quality imagery on Facebook shows your audience that your business is legitimate, reputable, and pays attention to the details (no matter how small). Facebook is focused on providing a positive user experience, so they prevent advertisers from being overly promotional. To do this they check to see how much text is featured in each image. Use this tool to see if your images adhere to Facebook’s “20% rule”.
- Cover Image: 820 x 312
- Profile Image: ≥ 180 x 180
- Shared Image (Timeline/Newsfeed): 1200 x 630
- Shared Link (Timeline/Newsfeed): 1200 x 628
- Highlighted Image: 1200 x 717
- Event Image: 1920 x 1080
Instagram Image Sizes
Instagram is a great opportunity for businesses to show customers how they can be relatable and personable. Instagram is a great place to show your company culture, what happens “behind the scenes” of your business, the process of creating your products, customers using your products, etc.
- Profile Image: 110 x 110
- Image Thumbnail: 161 x 161
- Shared photos: 1080 x 1080 (Instagram will scale down to 612 x 612)
- Shared videos: 1080 pixels wide
- Square or rectangle photos: make sure to maintain an aspect ratio between 1.91:1 and 4:5 ratio.
- Instagram Stories: 1080 x 1920 (maximum 4GB)
Twitter Image Sizes
In the past few years, Twitter has made it easier for people to share images within their tweets. This has had a major engagement impact because tweets with images are more than 30% more likely to be retweeted than those with only text.
- Header Image: 1500 x 500 (maximum 5MB)
- Profile Image: 400 x 400 (maximum 2MB)
- In-Stream Image: 506 x 253 (maximum 5MB for photos, 3MB for GIFs)
Pinterest Image Sizes
Pinterest’s layout is oriented for portrait layout, so vertically designed pins tend to perform better. While pins are able to be much taller than other platforms, larger images may not perform as well. It’s best to create a pin that caters to what you want to visually represent, sometimes less is more.
- Profile Image: 165 x 165 (maximum 10MB)
- Board Cover Image: 222 x 150
- Pinned Image Preview: 236 pixels wide
- Pins on main page appear as 236 pixels (height is scaled).
- It’s recommended to use an image aspect ratio of 2:3 to 1:3.5